Saturday, February 25, 2006

Goodbye Mr. Furley


Best known as Barney Fife, Don Knotts had the incredibly challenging chore of filling Norman Fell’s shoes as the apartment complex superintendent where Jack, Chrissy, and Janet lived in the television sitcom “Three’s Company.” Who didn’t love Mr. Furley and the way he wore those seersucker suits and ‘70’s style scarfs?

LOS ANGELES - Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith'' Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

The West Virginia-born actor's half-century career included seven TV series and more than 25 films, but it was the Griffith show that brought him TV immortality and five Emmies.

I was seven years old when “The Apple Dumpling Gang” came out in the movies and I still get “that feeling” when it comes on TV. I never watched the “Andy Griffith” show because it was a little before my time. And I never watched "Matlock" but I always respected the way Don Knotts and Andy Griffith maintained their relationship throughout the years.